The hierarchy of driving is very simple. Tend to things in this order :
1. Vision (can you see out, and the road? can things come from blind areas?)
2. Speed (go only as fast as you can stop safely in the road you can see is clear)
3. Position (keep away from danger, in front and to the sides)
4. Signal (are you telling others around you what you're about to do?)
5. Engine (are you using controls to get the best response for the least effort?)
6. Comfort (heating; accidental wipers; closing windows; scratching an itch !)
Minimise your effort for maximum gains in safety, efficiency, and progress. "Effort" can mean cost of fuel, or how much you're having to move your left foot/hand.