These come in 5 varieties, plus school crossing patrols:
1. Zebra: give way to any pedestrian
2. Pelican: go on flashing amber if crossing clear
3. Puffin: variable time for people crossing
4. Toucan: cyclists can also cycle across
5. Pegasus: higher button-boxes for horse riders
When you see a crossing ahead, treat it like any hazard. So, use the centre mirror first: you may need to slow. Cover the brake if someone's waiting. Gently use the brake if your view's blocked. Look for clues of lights about to change, like the "WAIT" sign on a control box. Use handbrake if you have to stop. Check for people running on as the lights go green.